Thursday, December 8, 2011

Liam is Here!

Liam arrived somewhat unexpectedly on Tuesday, December 6th at 12:04 a.m. I had been having contractions for about a week, but they had intensified over the past few days. I went to work on Monday and truthfully felt pretty good. I made a big dinner and while cooking, I started feeling lots of pressure, but not necessarily pain. By 7:45, I sat down and started timing my contractions...they were about 3 1/2 to 5 minutes apart. I called the doctor around 9:30. The doctor told me to continue to monitor and if they continued, to come to the hospital in the next 15-20 minutes. 

Well, obviously the contractions continued and to the hospital we went! I really thought we would end up coming home--I was just doubting whether I was in active labor. Shortly after getting to the hospital, my contractions were about 2 minutes apart and I was VERY glad we had gone in. The doctor got there about 15 minutes after me and monitored me for about 20 minutes, then made the call to do the C-section. Shortly after midnight, Liam arrived!!!

Everything happened so quickly, I didn't really have time to get emotional or nervous. I was anxious that Liam would have completely developed lungs, since he was supposedly only 37 weeks, 4 days. But truthfully, I had been praying over the past couple of weeks that God send Liam as soon as he was developmentally ready (I was that uncomfortable!). 

All ready and waiting on the doctor...I had a spinal instead of an epidural this time and it was much, much better! 

Liam's here!

The doctor is cutting the cord. 

Liam did have a few problems immediately after birth. Since he was a C-section, all of the liquid and mucus, etc didn't get pushed out of his lungs. This is typical in C-section babies since they are not pushed through the birth canal--many times their lungs don't clear completely. It took awhile for them to get him breathing properly. They had to clear his lungs multiple times and then he did require oxygen. It is scary to be laying on the table in the operating room, unable to get up, and not really knowing what is going on with your baby. Luckily he was in good hands and they got him breathing and off oxygen fairly quickly.
My little pudgy man! Can you imagine if he had gone until December 15th, or even until this actual due date, December 23rd????

Liam weighed in at 8 lbs, 5 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. 


His resemblance to Kale is uncanny to me!

He was very hungry when he was first born. You can see he is gnawing on some sort of cord...not sure if that was safe. 

Liam's glucose level was too low whenever he was born ( only slightly). They had to feed him right away to get it up. 

Delicious!




My "push" present from Kris and Liam....although I didn't do any pushing. Kris bought me a gorgeous blue topaz (Liam's birthstone) and diamond (Kale and Kris' birthstone) ring. He has such great taste. The ring is gorgeous!

My two boys and I (I know I look gorgeous)! Kale really wasn't too sure about Liam at first. When he got to the hospital, he acted scared and almost like he didn't recognize me. He wouldn't come to me and did not want anything to do with Liam. I finally coaxed him into sitting with me by letting him play with my chapstick and push the buttons on the bed. 

Liam's present to Kale for being such a great big brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment