Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Having Two is Hard!

One of the things that people forget to tell you about being parents is that while two kids are double the joy, they are also double the work. One thing Kris and I have discovered this week is that having two is just plain hard work! One of them is always crying...if Kale starts, then Liam does too and vice versa. It's like sympathy crying. Kale is really struggling with adjusting to having a brother. We try to pay just as much attention to him, but he absolutely throws wild fits if one of us picks up Liam. Kris picked Liam up from his car seat today and as he walked away, Kale could be seen pummeling the empty car seat with kicks and punches...a little scary. Hopefully this is something he will get over. Other than the tough adjustment, we have had major sickness in our household. Kale came down with strep on Friday, I contracted some time of stomach bug on Saturday, which left Kris fending for all of us on Sunday. As a result of all this sickness, no one has been sleeping, like at all, at night. The pure exhaustion phase has set in.

I saw a quote one of my sweet friends put on her blog that helped put things into perspective. "The days are long, but the years are short." This has become my mantra of late. This is what I try to remember when the house is a mess (if you know me, you know I am "slightly" OCD about having a neat house.), both kids are crying, and I am exhausted. I take a deep breath and think of that song, it won't be like this for long. As I am rocking my sweet baby to sleep at 2 a.m., I remember that time passes quickly and that in just a matter of months, he will not wake up and want to be rocked to sleep. So when the days seem long (the nights even longer), I remember that the years are short and my sweet little men will be big men before I know it. So if you have a baby and a toddler running around the house, as many of my friends do right now, post this quote on your bathroom mirrors and next to your fridge, "The days are long, but the years are short." It really does help to remind one of what's really important.

1 comment:

  1. It is really hard but I promise it does get easier. My biggest had a really hard time adjusting to his little brother and they adore each other now. It was really hard on me for 4.5 months and then started to get easier. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete